Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Word to "Da Mudd'rs"

Our sweet, sweet A loves to throw parties, parties for all da mudd'rs. I wish I had it on video for all of you to see because the way she says it is just too cute! But since I can't throw all of you sweet mothers a party, today I have a little note for you.

Word to da Mudd'rs (sorry, it just doesn't get old!)
Our sweet baby A was a sweet little thing, but she hated to sleep. Actually, she just refused. There were many hours (and calories burnt) by Mr. J and myself trying to get the kid to sleep on any given day. To be honest, there were probably tears too. In order to make her even think about sleeping you would have to bounce her. And by bounce, I mean full body motions. And this could take a hour or two. Once the kid went to sleep, don't even think about putting her down. The moment you did, those eyes would pop open and there was no hope after that.

The first year of A's life, I wondered what in the world we were doing. I read every book I could, had every mom tell me their advice, and waited to hear some type of encouraging word along the way. But mostly I heard:
"Enjoy this phase, it is precious and it will be gone in a blink of an eye"
"It only goes downhill from here"
"Wait until she hits 2"
"Wait until she hits 3"
"Wait until she talks"

And now we have hit the 2's. And y'all, it is a battle! A daily battle! Some days, the hardest thing is not laughing while discipling while other days are battles of tears, sweat and blood. Parenting is no joke. A is a very independent, free spirit, strong-willed, dance to her own beat kind of girl. Her favorite activity is "pushing mom and dad's buttons". (She actually told someone that last night). And when people ask about her, the comments I hear are:
"Wait until she hits 3"
"Wait until she is in middle school"
"Wait until she is in high school"

 Moms, why do we make parenthood sound so terrible? Like each phase in life only gets worse? I too am guilty of this.  I believe it is because it is hard.  I believe it is because we are tired.  Physically and emotionally.  But moms, we are at battle. A battle that we are fighting to change lives. To mold little human beings. And we are in this battle together!

The first year was hard. I was sleep-deprived, had no clue what I was doing, and was trying to keep a small human alive.

1-2.5 have been extremely hard as well. While we are getting sleep now (see, it does get better!), A is trying to figure out who she is becoming and it is a battle daily to help guide her along that way.

My point is, every stage is going to be hard. Parenting is no joke. Let's just go ahead and all admit that one! But, can we just come together and encourage each other, to remind each other of the good along each way? For mom's who have been there, to hug those mom's struggling and say, good job! Because we all know, for every hard moment in motherhood, there are about 30 joyous moments!

I am so thankful for some encouraging women in my life. Women who have come along, who have fought the battle,  and who send words of encouragement along my battle. So if you don't have someone like that, find them! Find them fast!

And all da mudd'rs Good job! Good job momma's! I know this battle is hard! But today, look for the  hugs, the smiles, the kisses, and the sweet, sweet "I love you's!" Find the joy in each and every phase! They do pass quickly!

(Please note, this post is from my heart, and is basically written to myself.  So I can look back and be reminded to find the joy in each phase! Because most days, the feeling of defeat and exhaustion take over my mind and I want to make sure that I encourage my momma friends! To help remind them to find the joy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment