Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Mamaw would be proud!

I love my mamaw!  And I would love if she was still around!  One thing I remember about her is spending time with her in the kitchen.  She was a fabulous cook.  She was from Arizona and could cook some of the best Mexican food around.  It is still hard for me to truly like the mexican food around here because it taste nothing like hers!  This weekend I made Carne Asada.  A staple to mexican cuisine.  I was excited and nervous about making this.  I found the recipe on pinterest (I know you are probably surprised!) and it was a crock-pot recipe!  Mr J also has a love for mexican cuisine and a love for true carne asada.  While in the Marine Corp, Mr J spent a lot of time in Yuma, Arizona and still to this day talks about some little street joint that "cooked up" carne asada.  Talk about pressure!  My mamaw was a fabulous mexican cook and my husband loves "true" carne asada.  I am not sure if this recipe is "authentic" but I know it was well liked loved in our house!  This will for sure remain in my recipe box!

(I am horrible, I forgot to take a picture again!  I promise in 2012 to do better about that!)

Recipe and Picture Source: Cheeky Kitchen
(Her pictures are so great!  You can for sure tell they are not mine!)

Recipe slightly adapted from: Cheeky Kitchen

Crock-Pot Carne Asada
1 (3-5 lbs) lean roast
1/2 container of frozen, concentrated, margarita mix
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup oil
1 onion, quartered
5 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno, stem removed
2 tablespoons Knorr mexican beef bouillon, granulated (I could not find this, so I used beef bouillon and some mexican seasonings that Mr J mixed up)
1 (7 oz) can salsa verde (green salsa)
1 teaspoon cumin 
1 tablespoon chili powder

You will want to place your meat in a crock-pot early in the morning.  In a blender, combine frozen margarita mix, vinegar, oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno, bouillon, salsa verde, cumin, and chili powder.  Blend well until it is pureed. Pour the sauce over the meat, making sure it is well covered.  Cover crock-pot with a lid and cook all day on low heat (8-10 hours).  After allowing the meat to cook 8-10 hours, shred the meat, then return it to the crock-pot.  Stir and let set for at least another 30 minutes.  Spoon over your favorite tortilla, top with grated cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream, lettuce, whatever toppings you feel and most of all...Enjoy! :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment