Sunday, November 13, 2011

Maybe I love soup?

Okay, so maybe I have found a new love...soup? I have another soup recipe. White Chicken Chili. I first had this at Ruby Tuesday like 4 years ago. I really liked it but didn't think much more about it until about a month ago. I decided to try my hand at it so I scrounged the internet trying to find the perfect recipe. I found many recipes that I liked and combined them together. One I liked called for can beans and one called for "real" beans. I decided I liked the idea of "real" beans. The night I went to cook the soup I had remembered it said it took 30-45 minutes to cook. If you know anything about "real" beans, you know they take a lot longer than 30-45 minutes to cook. After a panic call to my mom and 2-3 hours later, we had our white chicken chili and it was great! The recipe below will be the "canned" version. I made this version this week and it is just as good! (and so much quicker!) Also, this makes a large pot. Great for leftovers. Did I just say that?

Creamy White Chicken Chili
Adapted from many yummy recipes

  • 3 large chicken breast, butterflied and then cubed
  • 1 medium to large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 32 ounces chicken broth/stock
  • 2 cans (7 oz) green chilies
  • 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded, cleaned and diced
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, saute the chicken, onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. (maybe a little longer. test the beans.)

Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and heavy cream.

enjoy! :)

This is great with mexican cornbread! Also, I promise to start thinking about taking pictures of all these great recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment